Friday, August 31, 2012

It Started in Port Hardy


MY CRAVING TO DRIVE our Russian Ural motorbike with sidecar, started just after we purchased it in 2008. We bought it while we were living in China; my husband picked it up in Vancouver and brought it to our new living space in Port Hardy, British Columbia. We’ve since moved to Campbell River and enjoy our funky ride all seasons.
My idea was to be able to control the bike enough that I could get us both to safety if something were to happen to Frank on one of our excursions. So, he agreed to take me to an empty parking lot and there he handed the green bulldog over to me.
After several attempts to switch into second gear, I found myself getting very comfortable with the technique of gearing up somewhat and shifting at the right time.
“Just listen to the motor,” Frank said. “It tells you when it needs changing.”
Although I’m not the primary driver, I still have a confident sense that I can take us to safety if need be.
Ladies, may I suggest that in order for you to really appreciate the role of the driver, you might like to ask for lessons. The Ural bike rides like a sports car. It doesn’t lean to one side or the other and you feel solid assurance between your legs.

Have fun!

Port Hardy Excursion
I'll get us there if I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment