Saturday, July 28, 2012

Port Hardy Excursion


SEPTEMBER on the North Vancouver Island, specifically Port Hardy, is a time to bundle up with warm clothes if you plan to motor through the mushy trails around the local airport.

For the passenger, gearing up for the sidecar means sporting warm socks, long johns, long pants, a long-sleeved T-shirt, a Hoodie, earplugs, a fur-lined leather jacket, a helmet and leather gloves. Once I get settled on the padded seat, I draw a cozy blanket over my lap and then pull the tonneau, a leather cover, secured to the front of the sidecar, onto my lap. What might seem like a lot of fussing provides me with warmth and a sense of security.

I sit right beside the engine so having ear protection helps me enjoy the ride. The windshield protects my face from bugs. There is a metal hand-grab bar directly in front of me and I use it to hold me in place if Frank decides to take a sharp corner. Switchback stretches bring a smile to my face.

The sturdy bike can plow through mud and snow at a patient speed. There’s a mechanism between us that Frank manipulates to put the plow horse into second gear. The muddy water is close enough for me to plunge my hand into. I resist the temptation and look forward to achieving dry ground.

Life is side roads.

Port Hardy Excursion

Tonneau


No comments:

Post a Comment