Friday, July 27, 2012

On The Road Again

FRANK AND I are URAL buddies but it wasn’t always that way. Frank’s long history with Harley Davidson motorbikes and my one ride on the back of a Honda as a young woman collided in China when he brought up the idea of buying a bike.

“I’m not riding on the back of a motorbike,” I said.
“Alright then, have a look at this beauty,” he said.

Displayed on the computer screen in our suite in Yichang, China, where we were employed as English teachers, was a sparkling green Russian URAL Patrol bike. It took my breath away. I imagined myself seated comfortably in the cozy sidecar enjoying the unobstructed sights, sounds and smells of freedom.

We ordered the gallant ride, picked it up in Vancouver, Canada and use it all seasons.

Most recently, we took a 129-kilometre excursion from Campbell River, British Columbia, north to Woss. We ran out of gas along the way, but that’s a good thing. We pulled into a Nimpkish roadside spot and while Frank filled the tank with contents from one of our attached gas containers, I filled my time by taking in the beautiful surroundings.

Our friends in Woss entertained us with local news and a scrumptious meal. Our expedition home was a delight.



No comments:

Post a Comment