Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Journey Is The Thing


Homer, the ancient Greek poet, must have rode in the sidecar of a Russian Ural motorbike. It’s true that the journey’s the thing when a passionate driver is chauffeuring you about. Getting ready for the journey is also part of the fun. I wear a Hoodie, which I pull over my head and set my helmet on. My earplugs help suppress the noise from the motor that roars on my left and protective glasses keep my eyes wet.

September 22, 2012, on central Vancouver Island, offered a bright sunny day and moderate temperatures. I packed a lunch for my husband and I, and hopped into the sidecar like an excited puppy. We had a destination in mind, and had never travelled the logging roads to Lost Lake. To my great pleasure, on the way, we took a side path, explored more forestry roads and ended up at Loveland Bay Provincial Park where we enjoyed a lakeside picnic. We stopped at Lost Lake on our way home and walked the short hiking trail to explore the area.

It’s the fragrance of nature, the sound of chirping songbirds, squawking crows, and the sight of regal eagles that keep us travelling and stopping along our journeys.

Logging Roads Galore
Sidecar Views
Loveland Bay Provincial Park

No comments:

Post a Comment