Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sweetheart Ride


On Vancouver Island, you have to take advantage of whatever weather conditions are presented to you. On Thursday, February 14, 2013, we chose to ride even with the threat of rain in the forecast. My sweetheart driver kick started the engine and we roared south on Highway 19A. Our destination was thirty-eight kilometres south from Campbell River to a village called Mereville.

We turned west on Sackville Road and after only a short spin the paved secondary side road turns into Mereville Road. A spectacular Bald Eagle sat on a fence. It spread its wings and flew off to a more practical point on a tall tree. I stretched my neck to keep it in my sight for as long as possible. The bird’s distinctive size and colours are mesmerizing.

The odour of hay and cow manure filled the air. Two large brown cows had their faces pushed deep into a trough chomping and grinding the feed. The next pasture held five horses standing and staring, as horses seem to do when they’re not being ridden.

We came across an epitaph honouring a person named Mike. People who loose their lives while driving a vehicle have a great impact on me. As a sidecar passenger on our Ural motorbike, I put all my trust in the driver. I have my private imaginings going on in my head while Frank is totally committed to driving. We both consider this one of the best features of our ride.

Happy Valentines Day!

On the road again

Life is good on our Ural

No comments:

Post a Comment